Re: [tlug] Mencoder conversion of files

On 2007-12-07 04:10 +0900 (Fri), Lyle H Saxon wrote:

> ...just that video is more expensive and more troublesome than
> still photography - assuming quality is part of the picture (pun
> unintended).

Sure, though I think that's fairly evident, and no different from the
film world.

> Regarding SLR cameras - I definitely prefer them for taking photos,
> but I've also found that they've become harder to use for street
> photography as people are less open-minded about other people taking
> pictures.

You might consider trying out a smaller camera and lens. Nikon has often
had size issues, and not just in the digital world. The F5 was the
size of a small house, and the preference for zoom lenses these days
doesn't help. On the film side, an Olympus OM camera with a prime lens
(particularly the 40mm "pancake" lens) is significantly smaller than the
usual kit people use; on the digital side, a Nikon D40 is a pretty nice
camera, and much smaller than even a D50, much less a D2.

> For a compact digital camera with a good lens that is unobtrusive,
> I've found the Ricoh GR (newest version the "GR-II") to be a great
> camera.

I'd love to try one out, though again I'm suspicious of the user
interface and speed issues. I do own a film GR myself, and it's a
fantastic little camera. Unfortunately, it's broken and getting it
repaired seems to be difficult.

cjs