Re: [tlug] Mencoder conversion of files

On Dec 4, 2007 6:21 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>  > Also, please define "HD-quality" - as there are so many factors
>  > involved!  The picture resolution in one thing, and then there are
>  > optics, etc., and "HD" on what size display?
>
> I'm talking about processing it by computer; only the resolution.

"Only" the resolution?  Hee-hee!  Remember that lenses have resolution
too!  That's where manufacturers cut costs for consumer-level
equipment!  Most people (thus most paying customers) shop by image
sensor pixel count, zoom range and size of the machine.  They don't
understand optics and so that's what gets cut to compete with other
camera manufacturers.  In the chain from reality to viewing screen,
any weak link destroys the quality.

>  > Regarding progress in photography - the electronics keep getting
>  > batter, but high quality optics are as expensive as ever.
>
> Granted, but that end of things is not on topic here.  My point was
> simply that you're not going to have to burn money on the computer and
> software for much longer.

Can you send me and some modern equipment back to 1991 to retake some
of those tapes I have?  No?  Oh well.  Anyway - yeah, well... things
are getting better, but what is considered high quality is also
getting higher, and quality video still has its costs!  Cell phone
cameras are garbage - frankly speaking.  If you mention high
definition video and cell phone cameras in the same breath to a
professional, you'll be laughed out of the room!

> And I would dispute your claim about high quality optics; looking
> around, a lot more people can afford high quality optics than could do
> so 25 years ago.

"Looking around"?!  Hee-hee!  Specifics man!  Where were you looking,
what did you see, and let's hear prices for professional level optics
for professional level video cameras.  "More" people can buy them?
Sure, that's probably true, but that doesn't mean they're cheap!
High-definition high-quality video images from cell phones!
Ha-Ha-Ha!!!  You're a funny guy!  Absolutely wicked humor!

Still pictures from cell phones are not too horribly bad, but they're
still basically garbage.  But what do I know?  You're always right,
everyone else is always wrong, and you know everything in the universe
and beyond.  Sorry I read your message - I should have known better.

Lyle