Re: [tlug] Mencoder conversion of files

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 00:03:18 +0900, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:

> 1. Append the files together. They are always numbered like so:
> m2u00066.mpg, m2u00067.mpg, m2u00068.mpg. So, assuming that I want to
> merge all videos in a directory, append them in order of file number.

The chances are that your camera uses exactly the same encoding parameters
for all the files in question - for any given sequence, that is. This means
that you can simply cat the files together and wind up with a usable file
(MPEG containers and the codecs used within are more often than not safe to
binary-concatenate).

> 2. De-interlace.

Looks like a candidate for ffmpeg with the -deinterlace option.

> 3. Save in a reasonably high quality but smaller format, like an AVI. I
> understand that smaller file format equals some quality loss, but I
> don't need to preserve original quality, I just need a result that is
> clear.

Looks like you're getting container format and codec mixed up.

I suggest you use libxvid to encode the video to MPEG4/DivX format,
libmp3lame to encode the audio to MP3, and pump the whole lot into an AVI
container. Either that or use MPEG4, libfaac and an MP4/QuickTime
container. ffmpeg handles all of this.

Run through this page for a primer on using ffmpeg, although I'm going to
have to tap on Howard's shoulder to get him to update a few things on
there: http://howto-pages.org/ffmpeg/

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Just remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.