Re: [tlug] Mencoder conversion of files

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 14:30:05 +0000
Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:

> > > That's interesting. I thought you said earlier that they were
> > > uncompressed?
> >
> > Well... to be honest, I'm still trying to figure out just what it is
> > that my Sony video camera is doing with its video formats.
> >
> > They might not be entirely uncompressed - maybe they are just really big.
> >
> > Whatever it is these files are doing, K3B seems to make a DVD out of
> > them about as fast as it can burn it.
>
> In that case they're MPEG2 files, which *are* compressed. Granted, the
> compression isn't as good as other codecs like MPEG4, but there's
> compression none the less. Uncompressed NTSC video would use up roughly 30
> megabytes per second.

Using a specific codec does not say anything about the
output sice. It is perfectly possible to produce a MPEG4
file that is magnitudes larger than a comparable MPEG2 file.

My assumption is that the camera outputs MPEG2 with only
I-frames and thus produces such huge files.

			Attila Kinali

                         -- Deed of Morred