Re: [tlug] Mencoder conversion of files

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 23:15:20 +0900
"Lyle H Saxon" <llletters@example.com> wrote:

> Indeed!  I've been working on digitizing some old analog tapes I took
> back around 1992 (8mm Hi-8 tape) and when I tried saving one two-hour
> tape in raw form, those two hours became just shy of 50GB!!!  (GB with
> a "G" not an "M").  4-8GB may seem large, but not in comparison with
> 50GB!!  But it makes sense when you stop and think of how much data is
> in video - 30 pictures per second (NTSC) with sounds, etc.

50GB per hour is perfectly normal... It's just not very well
compressed :)

> I'm just now beginning to think about editing this material (first
> things is to get it in digital form before the analog equipment that
> can play the tapes burns out), but - off-hand - are the tools being
> discussed capable of frame-specific accurate editing?

There are. But this mainly depends on the video format used.
Most tools only allow frame exact cutting with formats that
allow frame exact seeking (like MJPEG), though it would be
easily possible to do it with others too (it's just a lot
more work).

			Attila Kinali

                         -- Deed of Morred