Re: [tlug] Mencoder conversion of files

On Dec 3, 2007 9:33 PM, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:
> 50GB per hour is perfectly normal... It's just not very well
> compressed :)

Is it compressed at all - at that size?  I had thought that was
something like an uncompressed .tif file or something...

> > I'm just now beginning to think about editing this material (first
> > things is to get it in digital form before the analog equipment that
> > can play the tapes burns out), but - off-hand - are the tools being
> > discussed capable of frame-specific accurate editing?
>
> There are. But this mainly depends on the video format used.
> Most tools only allow frame exact cutting with formats that
> allow frame exact seeking (like MJPEG), though it would be
> easily possible to do it with others too (it's just a lot
> more work).

I'm willing to expend effort on things, but time is an issue....

By the way - I'm watching a tape (as the images are being digitized) I
took in 1991 as I type this... did you realize that women in Japan in
1991 had black hair?  Amazing!  And so long compared to now....  Long
black hair.  It looks downright exotic!

Lyle