Re: [tlug] Mencoder conversion of files

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 22:35:50 +0900, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:

> > That's interesting. I thought you said earlier that they were
> > uncompressed?
>
> Well... to be honest, I'm still trying to figure out just what it is
> that my Sony video camera is doing with its video formats.
>
> They might not be entirely uncompressed - maybe they are just really big.
>
> Whatever it is these files are doing, K3B seems to make a DVD out of
> them about as fast as it can burn it.

In that case they're MPEG2 files, which *are* compressed. Granted, the
compression isn't as good as other codecs like MPEG4, but there's
compression none the less. Uncompressed NTSC video would use up roughly 30
megabytes per second.

Oh, and K3b isn't burning anything. It's merely a front end to dvdauthor
(to create the DVD-Video structure from your mpeg2 files), mkisofs (which
generates the UDF filesystem to burn to a DVD-Video) and growisofs (which
does the actual burning and can indeed invoke mkisofs itself).

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.