Re: [tlug] Efficient editor keystrokes [was: How to use FF's shortcuts]

On 10/08/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> > In general, you should *not* use position-based navigation in Emacs.
>
> Ah. I guess that's something that a lot of Emacs users don't know,
> which is possibly why they look very inefficent to me (and are very
> inefficient).

Agreed. I starred Steve's email to print out and hang beside my
monitor at work until I start doing navigation right in XEmacs.

This is precisely why I want expert Emacs and Vim users to do demos at
TLUG meetings, because most of us (myself certainly included) still
have so much to learn about using our editors as $DEITY (I guess in
the case of Emacs, $DEITY == RMS; yuck! I'll take JWZ instead, as I am
an XEmacs user ;) intended.

Steve's content-based navigation stuff will probably save me a few
keyboards a decade. ;)

> Oh, wait...what happened to our editor war?

As with most flame wars between reasonable people, it mostly went away
when the participants discovered that they agreed on more than they
disagreed on. :)

--
Cheers,
Josh