Re: [tlug] How to use FF's shortcuts [C&C?]

Curt Sampson writes:

 > (Generally, the navigation in vi is much more efficient than Emacs,

More, quite possible (although the viper emulation mode is pretty good,
which might wipe out that advantage entirely ;-)  Much more, I doubt.

I don't want to get in an editor war here, I like Emacs because (a)
the editor can be my main scripting environment and (b) because I like
the people I work with at XEmacs.  As Steve Youngs[1] says, "The only
_____ you'll ever need.  Yes, it's *that* good."  Which is true for
values of "you" == "me", and that's enough. :-)

 > as far as I've seen. Something like "move to the space before third
 > instance of the word 'foo' ahead of the cursor and replace the rest
 > of the the paragraph with a period seems to me a heck of a lot fewer
 > keystrokes than most editors.)

I am curious how many keystrokes a skilled vi user can get that down to.

In Emacs, that's

C-s foo C-s C-s M-b C-b C-SPC M-} C-w .
  1   4   5   6   7   8     9  10  11 12

12 keystrokes, which I don't think is too bad.  If pending-delete mode
is enabled, you can omit the C-w.  If you happen to have point before
or on the first instance of foo, you can type C-w instead of "foo" for
the search target.  That gets you down to 9.

Of course 8 of them are chords, which is hard on the tendons.  But if
you don't have RSI, the question is whether typing speed is on the
critical path.  For me it's not; I can type infinitely fast.  Ie,
faster than I can think of what to type.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.sxemacs.org/