Re: [tlug] Efficient editor keystrokes [was: How to use FF's shortcuts]

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

[Stuff about chords.]

The same thing is true of uppercase and other shifted keystrokes, of
course.  Do you have a keyboard layout that makes the most commonly
used uppercase letters available as single keystrokes?  If not, would
you consider using it now that I mention it?

No, and no. But I certainly consider an uppercase letter to be two keystrokes. Typing "list this" for me is faster and much more comfortable than typing "LIST THIS"

Maybe that's unfair.  I don't think the repeated control characters
should count Control as keystrokes twice.

I'll buy that.

So accepting your accounting, Emacs costs about 50% more than vi.

Well, it's going to vary enormously, but yeah, I'd say that in general, movement-related commands (and actions based on movement-related commands) are something like that much more expensive in Emacs.

As a data point, is this kind of operation often in your inner loop?

Something that is alltogether that complex is not all that frequent, but broken down into smaller operations, yeah, I use stuff like this fairly often.

In general, you should *not* use position-based navigation in Emacs.
It's much more efficient to use content-based navigation and
mark-based navigation to get "close" to where you want to be.

Ah. I guess that's something that a lot of Emacs users don't know, which is possibly why they look very inefficent to me (and are very inefficient).

Granted, most people, even those who generally are pretty efficient
users, never make paragraphs and sexps part of their daily
repertoire....

Wow. I use both extremely heavily, for both motion and modification.

then M-x forward-paragraph RET will do what you want, and will also
inform you that it's bound to "M-}, M-down, M-kp-down".

That's very cool, and a fairly typical example of how Emacs' programmability is much better than vi's.

Oh, wait...what happened to our editor war?

cjs