Re: [tlug] linux laptop hibernate question

Lyle H Saxon wrote:
On 7/13/07, sjs <sjs@example.com> wrote:

I have one box that I selected Japanese as the main language and then
changed to English after the install that works great for Japanese -
but I'm stuck with Japanese menus in large parts of the total package.
I would prefer to install English as the primary language and have
Japanese support under that, but I haven't been able to.  I know -
there has been one thread after another about the steps required to
get that working, so I'm not even bothering to ask how here, I'm just
commenting that it doesn't seem to be a simple "add second language"
step during the initial install.
This was install was the easiest I have had so far for setting up the language. The desktop is gnome. I went to the system pulldown deselected everything and selected only english and japanese. It pulled in a bunch of files off of the net. I configured SCIM to use Japanese. There was a note to restart SCIM but no note on how to do that. I could have ps'ed for the task and killed and restarted I suppose, but I had to leave anyway, so I just shut down and rebooted.

I was at my Japanese instructor's house when rebooting and planned on starting XP 'cause I knew that worked and didn't know what to expect with the new system, but was distracted, so it booted Linux before I noticed. I decided to just try Linux and see what happened. SCIM worked like a charm.

We had a similar discussion a couple of years back with (I think) SuSE 8.2 or something like that. Getting Japanese input working the first time was really a task. This time was trivial.

The fonts on XP looked better than on Linux under Gnome.  I don't know
if there is something I have to add or not.

I wonder if it's the video driver? I have an old P-III 450MHz machine that displays things very clearly, with sharp detail, but on newer boxes, the details (quite visible with some fonts, especially small ones) are not as good. Thus I'm writing this message on that old 450....
I wouldn't be surprised. It's quite usable -- just not as clean as in windows. It might also be the fonts. I've only done a few minutes research, but at least one person mentioned using the ttf fonts from his windows system on the Linux side as well. That's probably the next thing I'll try.

Lyle

This was an enlightening experience. I wasn't expecting this much of an improvement. Overall, the Gnome desktop feels much better to me on Ubuntu 7.04 than it did under SuSE 10.1. That's only been about a year or a year and a half.

It is so nice to have Japanese text work in terminals! And to have a decent set of command line tools is just wonderful!

Does anyone know if Ubuntu keeps an installation log? I still need to chase down that missing driver for the Gateway box.

Steve S.