[tlug] linux laptop hibernate question

I have a dual boot thinkpad x40.  It doesn't get used on
Linux much because at the time I built it, suspend and
hibernate weren't working well.  Suspend back then (SuSE
10.1) crashed the machine and hibernate took as long to
recover as shutdown/reboot.  There may have been
installation problems but I never really looked into it.

For the apps I use (perl, cygwin, open office, audacity,
gvim, firefox/mozilla, thunderbird mostly) I'm ok with XP
although not proud of it.  The convenience of shutting the
lid and opening it again more than outweighs the use or not
of Linux on this box.  On windows sleep/wake up only take a
few seconds.

However, I'm reconsidering.  Debugging Perl under windows is
a royal-pain-in-the-kazoo.  Does anyone have experience with
hibernate/suspend on linux.  Are the hibernate/suspend
features working better than they were.  Should I upgrade to
a more recent release of Linux?

Thanks
Steve S.