Re: [tlug] linux laptop hibernate question

dave@example.com wrote:
steven smith <sjs@example.com> writes:

I have a dual boot thinkpad x40. It doesn't get used on
Linux much because at the time I built it, suspend and
hibernate weren't working well. Suspend back then (SuSE
10.1) crashed the machine and hibernate took as long to
recover as shutdown/reboot.

Does anyone have experience with
hibernate/suspend on linux.  Are the hibernate/suspend
features working better than they were?  Should I upgrade to
a more recent release of Linux?

Here's a page on sleep/wake problems and solutions with various ThinkPads. Does anything there help?

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume

Dave

I think rather than pursue this further, I'm going to upgrade the system and see how it is then. As little as I've done with this system, I really should upgrade before spending too much time.

I now have a liveboot disk of ubuntu 7.04 and SimplyMepis (which I'd never heard of) and Debian 4.0 from a Linux Format magazine I picked up this morning. That and the recent discussion of distro's will be helpful.

I bookmarked thinkwiki.org. It should be a really valuable resource. I think finding that was what finally made me decide.

I may just go with Ubuntu and call it good. If Dell thinks it's the way to go, how can it be wrong :) (um -- that's a lame attempt at humor)

Seriously though, Linux Format just ran a pretty extensive comparison and they rate overall:
1) Ubuntu
2) SuSE
3) Debian
4) PCLiuxOS (?)
5) Mandrivea
6) Fedora
7) Slackware
8) Sabyon (?)
For some reason they didn't even look at Gentoo.

Thank you for the reply Dave!

Steve S.