Re: [tlug] Desktop Wars Query

On 6/27/07, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
On 6/27/07, Pietro Zuco <drzuco@example.com> wrote:
> I prefer that kind of graphics. That's why I actually don't use Gnome
> or KDE, specially I'm allergic to Gnome. I don't want to have a
> desktop that seems the graphic menu of a PlayStation or the electronic
> menu of a restaurant or even the Information pannels for tourist to
> find a monument... I'm sorry Gnome users, it's nice and it have a lot
> of design but I want to feel that I'm still using a computer, that's
> all.

Yeah - Gnome really is horrible.  I don't know why Ubuntu picked it as
the default desktop.  Nasty thing it is.  No accounting for (lack of)
taste - some people actually like Windoz too!

I'm not sure what is so "wrong" with gnome. I think it is a clean and uncluttered. My wife has no issue with using it, and she thinks she is using a computer so all is good ;-)

For me I find the default KDE setup to look like a candy shop has
exploded, or that I have stepped into a pachinko parlour. Hovering
over things make them swell and almost burst, coupled with fancy
transition effects all over the place sort of made me want to go and
play pachinko - at least the last time I looked at KDE that was the
case.

Xfce4 (it was 4.x last time I used it) is a good desktop that is
somewhere between a minimalist one (ala wmii fluxbox and so on) and a
full on desktop like KDE or Gnome.

Since we are sharing screenshots here is mine:

http://www.bawdo.com/images/wmii_desktop.png

Regards, Keith