Re: [tlug] Desktop Wars Query

On ç, 2007-06-26 at 13:54 -0500, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> How nice is WindowMaker's pager? That's what keeps me on AfterStep.

The pager is a bone of contention within the WindowMaker community.
Periodically on the mail list, someone says, ``Where's the pager?'' The
developers are philosophically opposed to including a pager, and such a
question invariably sets off a flame war. Anyway, there's no pager, but
I don't miss it, for these reasons:
1) You can easily switch workspaces with Alt-n (where `n' is the number
of the workspace). This is most convenient and what I use most often.
2) There is a workspace menu which you can pin to the desktop. You can
position it almost completely off the desktop (saving real estate) and
when you mouse over it, it will slide back on. After clicking it hides
itself again.
3) You can click on the little directional arrows on the clip to scroll
through the desktops.

If you really want a pager, there are dock apps available: wmpager,
wmcp, but I don't use either one since they don't offer extra
functionality that I need.

> AfterStep development is pretty much a one-man show. Though Sasha
Vasko
> (the main developer) is very helpful and friendly, i wouldn't mind
> switching to something more popular / more actively developed if the
> pager worked similarly and i could configure it similarly to not have
> any other clutter on the screen.

Well, it seems that development has slowed somewhat recently. The last
version was released two years ago; the last post to the mailing list
was almost a year ago :-{ . There was some talk about a rewrite of the
code about a year ago, but I don't think anything has come of it. This
is sad, but on the other hand, it is a very mature piece of software
that gives me no trouble at all. In addition, there are lots of dock
apps that are still in active development. I count 109 in the Gentoo
x11-plugins tree right now.

--
Stuart Luppescu -=-=- slu <AT> ccsr <DOT> uchicago <DOT> edu
CCSR at U of C ,.;-*^*-;.,  ccsr.uchicago.edu