Re: [tlug] Open archives are bad?

Uva, Stephen,

Thank you both for your comments.

Uva, I've been trying to wrap my head around where you're coming from, and it just seems like we're on different wavelengths.

Correct me if I'm misreading you, but it seems that you feel the TLUG archives need to be somehow better before they should be made more publicly accessible. In a way, it's like you're saying they don't deserve to be more accessible because of a lack of focus, quality, or relevance.

But I just can't see how the TLUG archives are any worse than anyone else's archives. Every list has trolls, irrelevant discussions, and other noise. Every list has a unique kind of character that is the sum total of all the good and bad contributions of all its members. But nonetheless, without even putting much thought into it, a Google search will basically side step the noise and pull out those bits of data that can help a person.

So the bottom line as I see it is that at worst, maybe no non-TLUG member will find anything of use in the archives. At best, someone, somewhere, may be helped. No downside, maybe some upside.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn