[tlug] Open archives are bad?

TLUG,

I was wondering why the tlug archives are password protected. So, confident this had come up before, I looked up the discussion in the archives:

http://www.tlug.jp/ML/0512/msg00309.html

Even after reading that discussion, though, I didn't understand why having the archives be password protected was a good thing. Maybe I missed a post, but there seemed to be a quantum leap from the idea to make them open, to the idea of making them open only to humans.

Having the username and password publicly visible there means any human (who is capable and willing to read English) can immediately access them.

So the only thing the password stops is search engines. And that, in turns, stops a lot of people from benefiting from the TLUG body of knowledge because they might not ever realize TLUG exists.

I understand that there are some other concerns, like people making past postings with a certain understanding of how it was archived, and the privacy of individual emails. But, actually, it looks like those concerns were addressed and resolved in the thread linked above.

So, I guess I'm wondering if there existed then, or exists now, a good justification for the public password system.

If not, I would vote for the archives to be opened that much more for the search engines, so that the knowledge here can be put into the larger pool.

Is good, no?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn