Re: [tlug] SD Card not appearing on desktop. Again.

Stephen, Darren, Arwyn,

Thank you for the suggestions and links.

Stephen said:
What does /etc/fstab have on the various systems?
$ more /etc/fstab
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda1
UUID=d0965987-0ab6-4cc8-a970-66326eaed16b / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda3
UUID=dc8cfafd-a571-439a-b1f3-a5a1a5059907 /media/sda3 ext3 defaults 0 2
# /home (/dev/sda4 )
/dev/sda4 /home ext3 nodev,nosuid 0 2
# /dev/sda5
UUID=f49f083b-012e-47ea-b64c-29f58675ff86 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

Stephen said:
What does mount (with no arguments) report?
$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda3 on /media/sda3 type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda4 on /home type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

Stephen said:
What's that mean, in concrete terms?
What I mean when I say that my girlfriend gets a "nice icon" is that an icon representing the SD card automatically shows up on her desktop when she inserts an SD card. That's the behavior I want.

Darren said:
I assumed you
meant you couldn't access the SD card at all?

Yeah, so far as I can tell, even though it looks like it mounts, I can't access it at all from the GUI or command line. From what I read on the net, I believe I'm supposed to get an entry called "sdd" in my "media" directory. But I there are no directories of any name for my SD card that I can find, in my /media directory or elsewhere.

If there's another step I need to take to mount the card from the command line, let me know. I tried "mount sdd1" and "mount sdd", but I got:
mount: can't find sdd in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Arwyn said:
Ubuntu uses a combination of gnome-volume-manager, hald
and dbus to perform automounting. Make sure they are all running and
setup correctly.
I checked the web page you suggested and confirmed that I have gnome-volume-manager in my sessions, and I can check its settings in gnome-volume-properties.

In synaptic, I have HAL and dbus installed. I'm also a member of the plugdev group.

I'm starting to think that maybe this is a bug?

After all, with my girlfriend's laptop, I didn't do a singe configuration setting. SD cards just work automagically.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn