Re: [tlug] Command Line is Good to Learn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(was Re: Which X Driver for VIA Chipset Micro ATX? [SOLVED])

Jim wrote:
Congratulations. Obviously, you did the right thing by hacking the configuration file. Continue to learn how to do that from the command line. Also continue to learn how to backup files,
I've found using RCS is a decent way to track configuration file changes over time. If anyone has smarter methods I'm always happy to hear new ideas.

Here's my 8 step method to keep track of configurations so when ornery TLUG members grill you on what you did you have some a record. For this example let's say Mr Essertier is furiously working on trying to get his xorg.conf (in /etc/X11) file working properly...

  Assumptions
a. Mr Essertier is 'root' or is using sudo to be able to write to the config files
       b. Mr Essertier rcs via your favoriate package manager tool

  Method
   1. cd /etc/X11
   2. mkdir RCS
3. ci -u xorg.conf (Start keeping a log of changes. Add an appropriate comment like 'first version')
   4. co -l xorg.conf   (Check it out so you can make some changes)
   5. edit xorg.conf with some changes
   6. Test to see if changes worked
   7. If changes did not work go to step 3
8. Changes worked, check in your changes (ci -u xorg.conf) and make sure to leave a big comment that this is a working version! Now apply the 15 commandments.. no 10.. err.. 8 steps above to any other configuration file you want to keep track of. Make sure to find a tutorial on rcs so you learn all the different commands like rlog and rcsdiff.

Hope that helps,
Alain
p.s. Apologies in advance if Joseph feels singled out as the example person in the methodology above