[tlug] Which X Driver for VIA Chipset Micro ATX?

essertier wrote:

> I decided to just try re-installing the whole thing with my
> Debian DVD and choose [VESA] this time.
>
> And whad'ya know?!  It worked!  The screen is crystal clear!

Congratulations.

> It's 800 x 600 I guess ...

For most of us, that's pretty crummy resolution.

Figure out for sure what the resolution really is.
Compare that to what Knoppix does.
Knoppix defaults to 1024x768, but you can override that at the boot prompt:

   boot: knoppix screen=1280x1024

Use the kruler program to measure the screen size.

> Well, so I tried changing the XF86Config-4 file, copying stuff over from
> the Knoppix version of that file, and when I rebooted, got a message
> like, "Cannot start X Window system."  So, without any idea how to
> change the file again using a terminal ...

Knowing how to mess with files using a terminal is something
you will need to know how to do. Also learn how to ssh into
a box and run both command line stuff, and GUI programs over ssh.

Remember that live CDs are great for fixing messed up machines.

Now that you have your video working, it is a good time to
experiment with X windows and command line stuff. For X Windows,
study:

   startx
   init 3
   init 5