Re: [tlug] Which X Driver for VIA Chipset Micro ATX?

Joseph Essertier wrote:

> Jim wrote:
> >
> > Show us the "Device" sections from Knoppix and Ubuntu.

> The following is the Knoppix XF86Config-4 file ...:
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier  "Card0"
> # The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
> 	Driver      "vesa"

Bingo!              ^^^^^^ You're using the VESA driver.

> 	VendorName  "All"
> 	BoardName   "All"
> #	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection

Backup the bad X config file, and experiment with substituting
bits of the Knoppix config file into the bad X config file.

> And here is the Ubuntu xorg.conf file:
> -----
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"VMWare Inc [VMWare SVGA II] PCI Display Adapter"
> 	Driver		"vmware"
> 	BusID		"PCI:0:15:0"
> EndSection

The vmware driver is quite surprising for me.
I don't know what to make of that.
I don't know if the vmware driver is for a virtual
(or in other words FAKE!) video board,
and the actual driver is in some other X config file.
I guess it's also possible that vmware is being used to
use Windows driver in Linux. The vmware driver just stumps me.

I also notice that the BusID is different.
I don't know what to make of that.