Re: [tlug] Which X Driver for VIA Chipset Micro ATX?

    Jim> The vmware driver is quite surprising for me. I don't know
    Jim> what to make of that.

Ubuntu is using it to make one size fit all, I should think.

    Jim> I don't know if the vmware driver is for a virtual (or in
    Jim> other words FAKE!) video board, and the actual driver is in
    Jim> some other X config file. I guess it's also possible that
    Jim> vmware is being used to use Windows driver in Linux. The
    Jim> vmware driver just stumps me.

    Jim> I also notice that the BusID is different. I don't know what
    Jim> to make of that.

I would guess the the vmware driver is virtual, and it works by
trapping accesses to the PCI bus.  I would guess that the actual
driver is completely separate from X, more likely an enhanced liunx
frame buffer.

The VESA driver looks like the way to go, although I don't understand
why the server doesn't recognize it.