Re: [tlug] Printing from vmware (was: Installing Windows after installing Linux)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 01:11:20 +0900
Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

> The interface of the Vmplayer shows a "USB Canon ip3100" listed as one
> of the devices attached. Yet when I try to install the printer driver,
> it seems to only list serial and parallel ports as options to look for
> printers. No USB options are present.

Vmware can use usb, the device in the virtual machine will be the same
hardware that linux uses. The printing problems come from protocol
implementation errors (i.e. free linux printer drivers can't send the data
over the usb bus to the printer in the proper form).
If your linux printing troubles are not due to low level problems
(usb/usblp device driver not working), then you should be able to print
from vmware.
This was one of the reasons I used vmware a few years ago, so that I
could print with my HP in photo quality over usb. It was dog slow, but
worked.

You should check the detected device list in windows. Maybe "add new
hardware" or something will find the usb device. It was a while ago since
I used MS stuff. Also check the vmware bios settings.