Re: [tlug] Installing Windows after installing Linux

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:43:25AM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> TLUG,
>
> What I need to put in there is an entry like this:
> title        Windows XP
> root        (hd0,0)
> savedefault
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
>
> At least one problem is that root (hd0,0) section. It says the same
> thing for all my Linux boot options:
> title        Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-20-686
> root        (hd0,0)
> kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-20-686 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
> initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-20-686
> savedefault
> boot
>
> For example, one site I'm looking at says that if a Windows partition is
> at /dev/hda5, then the right entry for menu.list is (hd0,4). But it
> doesn't say how you derive one from the other.
>
> And that is why I am turning here. What am I supposed to enter into
> menu.lst if my Windows drive is at /dev/hdb1?

Hrmph, did you try my page?

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/grub.html

It's dated, but I ~thought~ I explained that one well for the beginner.

Basically, unlike fdisk or cfdisk, grub starts numbering from 0, like
many programs.

So, your windows partition is probably /dev/hdb1---err, yeah, it is, you
said so.   :)

So, you would want

hd1,0

In other words, your first hard drive, holding ubuntu, is, by Grub
standards, hd0.   The first partition is hd0,0, second partition hd0,1,
etc.

So, the second drive is hd1, and the first partition on that drive is
hd1,0.

Take a look at the link I posted above, see if that explains it clearly.
If it doesn't, let me know as that page is supposed to be newcomer
friendly (though I don't really maintain it anymore, so, I dunno)

> Thank you for any advice.

Hey, no problem, just send me money.  :)

- --

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Willow: I'm a bloodsucking fiend! Look at my outfit!