Re: [tlug] Vmware Player: Free as in Speech? (was Installing Windows after installing Linux)

Argh.

I'm trying to install the VMware player. I downloaded the RPM, and tried to install it using alien:

dpkg: error processing vmwareplayer_1.0.1-19318_i386.deb (--install):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 25: [: abort-install: integer expression expec ted
vmwareplayer_1.0.1-19318_i386.deb

So then I tried installing using the .tar package:
dave@example.com:~/Desktop/vmware-distrib$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl
A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.
Failure
Execution aborted.

So to my newbie eyes it looks like the alien installed partially so that it doesn't work, but enough for any other installer to think it's already there.

How can I clean my system of any reference to vmware and do this right?

--
Dave M G