Re: [tlug] At my wits end and completely desperate (wacom problem)

Scott ,

Thanks for the advice. And my apologies to the list in general for venting here.

While I don't mean to seem ungrateful to anyone, I have been around in circles with trying to get help from mailing lists and web sites. I understand and appreciate that people are volunteering their time and expertise, and I don't begrudge anyone for not helping me out. That is the reality of open source life.

But I also have to deal with the results. And the results are such that for literally months, over half a year even, it's been a series of getting suggestions, following through, not getting expected results, and then losing the interest of the person who made the initial suggestion. By "losing the interest", I should qualify that I don't really know how or what anyone thinks out there in mailing list land, just that for whatever reason, it's hard to get follow up advice.

<rant>
Unless, of course, I started a thread saying that Windows did some things better, or a similar contentious topic, in which case the thread would last for days, weeks, involving more people with increasing passion, until a moderator stopped it.
</rant>

The randomness and time needed in getting results from the Linux community at large has just reached a breaking point. I was very serious with my offer to pay someone to help. I really aspire to do less fiddling with Linux and more actual work using Linux. Because of my intention to do graphics work, and an issue with RCS, the tablet is a big deal for me.

But I wonder why it is that no one is at all interested in taking the offer of payment for minor support issues. Is it because people already have jobs so well paying or time consuming that payment doesn't incentivise? Is it because there's no guarantee that doing something like installing a Wacom tablet can be met with success? Is it because no one really has enough expertise in that area? Is it a philosophical resistance to making transactions for assistance?

Is there really no one in the Tokyo area with enough Linux confidence to set up a peripheral device, and who wouldn't mind making some extra yen they wouldn't have otherwise?

Mauro,

If you had read my post, you would have seen that I said "I have been up and down the Linuxwacom site". I have been on their mailing list for quite a while.

--
Dave M G