Re: [tlug] Up & Down With Ubuntu (was different Ubuntu Issue)

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> Following is a bit of steam-of-consciousness style of just detailing
> trying to start and stop my Ubuntu box.  At this point, I'm wondering
> how to shut it down from the command line.

try pressing the Ctrl-Alt-Del buttons, it will reboot your system, when
it reaches the BIOS hold in the power switch until it shutdown.
> "halt" produces "must be supervisor"
> "shutdown" produces "you must be root to do that!"
> "poweroff" produces "must be supervisor
>
> I'm basically hoping to be able to boot into either KDE or GNOME and
> to be able to shut the machine down without just dumping the power....

You need a display manager.  The display manager will startup X windows
when you system boots.  The three most common are xdm the default, gdm
the gnome one, kdm the kde one.  Any of them should work.  I know at
least gdm has a shutdown function.

Edward