Re: [tlug] Up & Down With Ubuntu (was different Ubuntu Issue)

Edward Middleton wrote:

>>"halt" produces "must be supervisor"
>>"shutdown" produces "you must be root to do that!"
>>"poweroff" produces "must be supervisor
>>
>>I'm basically hoping to be able to boot into either KDE or GNOME and
>>to be able to shut the machine down without just dumping the power....
>>

>You need a display manager.  The display manager will startup X windows
>when you system boots.  The three most common are xdm the default, gdm
>the gnome one, kdm the kde one.  Any of them should work.  I know at
>least gdm has a shutdown function.

Thank you.  I'm still experimenting.... Here's a sort of log of results
that I'm typing as I try them:

"xdm" - command not found
"gdm" - command not found
"kdm" - command not found

startkde - endless stream of "Kpersonalizer: cannot connect to x server"

Ctrl+Alt+Del - Reboot - now back with "startx"

Lyle