Re: [tlug] Up & Down With Ubuntu (was different Ubuntu Issue)

Following is a bit of steam-of-consciousness style of just detailing
trying to start and stop my Ubuntu box.  At this point, I'm wondering
how to shut it down from the command line.

"halt" produces "must be supervisor"
"shutdown" produces "you must be root to do that!"
"poweroff" produces "must be supervisor

But... the thing is - this being Ubuntu - there is only one password!
If you have the patience and time, have a look at the following text,
but I'm basically hoping to be able to boot into either KDE or GNOME and
to be able to shut the machine down without just dumping the power....

Lyle

After installing a number of things on Ubuntu 5.10, I shut down the
computer for the day and went to bed (Wednesday night).  I was too busy
with other things to try it out again until late last night (Thursday),
at which time I discovered that it's gone back to booting into command
line.  I can log in, but don't know what to do to activate a GUI desktop
application.  I tried "start x" but that just generated a "command not
found " error message.

One of things I installed was KDE... so could it be that now the machine
doesn't know what to do, so stops at the command line awaiting
instruction as to whether to go to KDE or to GNOME?  When I try:
"kdes"

I get:
"cannot connect to X server"

When I go to:
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2000/s1104/52s04/52s04.asp&guid=

I see that I should not have put a space between "start" and "x".  When
I try:
"startx"

It boots up.... in Japanese.  Hmmm....  When I got stuck on the command
line last night, I thought I would try installing the Japanese version
of Ubuntu that I earlier downloaded from:
http://www.ubuntulinux.jp/

The box didn't ask me anything, so I assumed it had ignored booting from
the CD-ROM and had booted from the hard drive.  Hmmm....  hitting
Esc(ape) during bootup last night brought up a choice of different...
versions.  I guess the old English language version is still in there then.

Trying it out a little, it seems to have done a thorough job of
converting everything over Japanese while maintaining all settings -
from a wallpaper photo to bookmarks within Firefox.

So - forgive this "stream-of-consciousness" post, but if you have an
English language install of Ubuntu that you want to convert to Japanese,
the CD from http://www.ubuntulinux.jp/ does a very nice job of it.  I do
think it might have been nice to have had some text boxes thrown up
telling me and giving me an option to back out, etc., but that's a minor
detail.  Now to see if I still need "startx" when I reboot the machine.....

Hmmmm..... logging out just logs out from GNOME, trying:
"halt" - produces "must be superuser"

[continued at top of page]