[tlug] Synaptic 17,316 Packages

I've been trying out Ubuntu Version 5.10 and I noticed that there are
17,316 packages listed as being available for download via Synaptic.
I picked a number of things and installed them.  A couple of comments:

1) I must have done something wrong with the search feature, as when I
tried to search for a category, such as "photo", the way you can with
YAST on SuSE, it didn't work.  The 17,316 packages are listed in
alphabetic order though, so I just went through the list.....

2) When picking things, each and every one checks for dependencies.
I'm not sure which is better - this way or the way it is in YAST,
where you can pick a number of things and then it checks the lot when
you start the implementation process.  Certainly it's much faster with
YAST, as you can click off a number of things
"click-click-click-click-click" and then just wait once as YAST checks
them all.  With Ubuntu and Synaptic, it's "click, wait... click,
wait... click, wait....."

3) Both times I've picked a number of things so far, in the actual
event of installing them, there was an error message saying that not
all packages were able to be downloaded.  It doesn't often a reason
for this, but did give the option of proceeding or cancelling the
entire operation.  I proceeded.....

Lyle
--
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/