Re: [tlug] Synaptic 17,316 Packages

--Sig_qJItBqlN8CeVcixkBykz+wc

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 22:46:38 +0900
Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:

> I've been trying out Ubuntu Version 5.10 and I noticed that there are
> 17,316 packages listed as being available for download via Synaptic.=20
> I picked a number of things and installed them.  A couple of comments:

Synaptic must have come a long way since I last tried, but I just see no
reason to use it.
Unless your keyboard is broken and your hand has a mouse implant,
probably clicking is the way to go, but a lot of people prefer apt-get.

If you can memorize those few keywords you need to use, apt is a better
choice I think.

apt-cache search <keyword>
apt-get install <pkgname>

If you really need a gui there are other apt front-ends as well
(gnome-apt for example), but synaptic might be still the best amongst.

--=20
boti