Re: [tlug] Synaptic 17,316 Packages

On 2/8/06, Botond Botyanszki <tlug@example.com> wrote:
> >[LHS] I've been trying out Ubuntu Version 5.10 and I noticed that there
> > are 17,316 packages listed as being available for download via Synaptic.
> > I picked a number of things and installed them.  A couple of comments:
>
> Synaptic must have come a long way since I last tried, but I just see no
> reason to use it. Unless your keyboard is broken and your hand has a mouse
> implant,probably clicking is the way to go, but a lot of people prefer apt-get.
>
> If you can memorize those few keywords you need to use, apt is a better
> choice I think.
>
> apt-cache search <keyword>
> apt-get install <pkgname>

Thanks - one thing about Synaptic is that it includes a short
description of each package.  I'm wondering if there is a list of all
the packages, along with a description of each?  The number of them is
high enough that a text file with the lot in it would be really
useful.  Does such a file exist?

> If you really need a gui there are other apt front-ends as well
> (gnome-apt for example), but synaptic might be still the best amongst.

I haven't tried that one yet.  There are several things that I want to
try out actually.  This is my first experience to actually use (as
opposed to testing) Gnome, so I'm not used to it yet.

Thanks for the info!

Lyle