Re: [tlug] Up & Down With Ubuntu

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

>Following is a bit of steam-of-consciousness style of just detailing
>trying to start and stop my Ubuntu box.  At this point, I'm wondering
>how to shut it down from the command line.
>
>"halt" produces "must be supervisor"
>"shutdown" produces "you must be root to do that!"
>"poweroff" produces "must be supervisor

Hitting the power button, it says:

"The system is going down for system halt now!"

- and it proceeds to orderly shut itself down.

Okay - it's very sloppy, but I can boot up with "startx" from the
command line and I can shut it down after going back to the command line
by hitting the power button.   Hmmmmm.......

Lyle