Re: [tlug] Up & Down With Ubuntu (was different Ubuntu Issue)

Scott Robbins wrote:

>When I've tried the English language version, I believe I was able to
>shutdown from either Gnome or KDE.
>
>Are you familiar with sudo?

It's something I have been seeing on the screen from time to time, but -
until now - I've never had to regularly use it, since SuSE prompts for
the root password (when needed) via text boxes.  From today, "sudo
[command]" is something that is finally burned into my memory I think.

>Ubuntu, and Mac OSX (as well as other distributions, PCBSD etc.) disable
>root by default.  (Actually, in PCBSD, you set a root password and can
>use su, but I digress.)
>
>Instead, you use the sudo command.  This enables you to run a command as
>root and use your password.
>
>So, if you want to run a command that requires root privilege
>
>sudo /sbin/shutdown -h now

I look up from the computer and see "Linux Quick Fix Notebook" - the
next book on my reading list, but I've yet to begin reading it.  In the
meantime, I'll save your e-mail in my computer notes folder for
reference.  Thank you for helping me out!

Lyle