Re: [tlug] Perspective... (typo fix)

On 07/02/06, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

> I apologize for putting my opinions in here.

Please don't; I am just asking that you express them in a more
topic-friendly way.

Feel free to remind me when I forget this rule, as well. :)

> I'm passionate both in what I like and what I don't like, but I need to tone
> down what I say about what i don't like.

Not at all, just make sure you can elucidate the *why* of you dislike.

> And - just to make sure my position is understood - while I do
> very much dislike a certain company, I am only for moving forward within
> the law and in an orderly and responsible way.

Of course. I never meant to imply otherwise, and sincerely apologise
if anyone read it that way.

> Since I do get passionate about things, I'll try to stick to subjects on
> this list of which I am dispassionate, which should keep me from
> repeating my past errors.

I think a better rule is the one that we learned from our mothers when
we were about five years old (actually, Scott reminds me of this one
all the time; I wonder if he is actually channelling my mother, or is
just wise in a way that few men are? ;)

"When you are angry, count to N, where N >= 10, before responding."

Being able to argue dispassionately about subjects which you are
passionate about is a difficult thing, but an important one.

I hate to keep using Stephen Turnbull as an example (and Steve, sorry
for putting you on a pedestal here), but note how he never seems
angry. He may be poking more holes in your argument than Lady Bovary's
stockings (sorry!), but he does it logically.

Please note that this email has all of the qualities of the pot
calling the kettle black: I myself certainly fly off the handle and
say things that I quickly come to regret. :)

> PS  Josh - sorry man.  I think you're doing a great job as List Master
> and I highly respect your computer skills.

Thanks for this. It is really important to me that people hate me for
the right reasons, not just some misunderstanding. ;)

-Josh