Re: [tlug] How to Push Linux! .......................

Scott Robbins wrote:

>Ok, let's see if we can stop this one before it gets out of hand.
>
>Lyle, from what I saw, I don't think Josh went overboard.  Also, yes,
>Steve has much more leeway than most list members because a mailing list
>is a meritocracy and he has powers and abilities far beyond that of
>mortal men.  Well, ok, maybe not, but aside from his computer technical
>skills, he is a professor of economics.

Okay.  Thanks for pointing that out.  My mistake is that I thought the
words and ideas were competing of their own merit and were not being
prejudged according to who wrote them.

>He and Josh have a liking and respect for each other, AFAICT, and
>so if he criticizes Josh, yes, Josh will probably accept it.
>
>I think Josh likes you as well, and is perhaps less careful with his
>words towards you than he would be with a stranger.  However, looking at
>the posts, I don't see anything that I would really consider an attack.
>
>It didn't even strike me as overly harsh--again, perhaps he said things
>because it was you, who he knows ( and likes, AFAICT)
>that he would have said more diplomatically if it were a stranger.

Okay - I see your point.  Still I'm feeling powerfully miffed, but then
I have a completely different background from most of the vocal people
on this list and so I should expect radically different ways of viewing
the world.

>Honestly, I don't think there's enough here to make you angry.  Perhaps
>a bit miffed that Josh is more likely to listen to Stephen than to you,
>but I think that holds for most of us--err, that REALLY came out wrong,
>I ~meant~ that Josh is more likely to listen to Steve than to 99.9
>percent of the rest of this list.

Right, except I think that when you have the option of making an
accurate quote, then there is no excuse for changing the words -
especially in a case like this.  There is a huge difference between
saying that you hate a company and saying that they must be "defeated at
any cost".  In fact thinking of that phrase "at any cost" being
inaccurately attributed to me, I'm in a red-hot rage all over again.
God that makes me angry!  I sure as he*l did NOT say that, and anyone
who has their half-joking words of overstated criticism misconstrued in
this way has a right to be angry.

Lyle