Re: [tlug] How to Push Linux! .......................

On 07/02/06, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

> Right, except I think that when you have the option of making an
> accurate quote, then there is no excuse for changing the words -
> especially in a case like this.

I was too lazy to listen to the two-hour-long 100MB + WAV file which
you kindly provided (not being sarcastic here), that is true.

However, even seeing your precise quotation, I don't feel that I have
changed the mean *at all*.

> There is a huge difference between saying that you hate a company and saying that they
> must be "defeated at any cost".

OK, I see your point, and why you are angry.

> In fact thinking of that phrase "at any cost" being inaccurately attributed to me, I'm in a
> red-hot rage all over again. God that makes me angry!

No, you did not *say* that. I admit that my knowledge of everything
you have said in the past few years on the list led me to make that
inaccurate representation.

As Scott noted, "at any cost" was simply a rhetorical device. I did
not mean to imply that you would accept any means to the end of
destroying Microsoft.

However, you *did* describe *yourself* as follows: "I'm sort of a
crusading anti-Microsoft person - I really hate Microsoft".

> I sure as he*l did NOT say that, and anyone who has their half-joking words of overstated
> criticism misconstrued in this way has a right to be angry.

You certainly have a right to be angry, but I wish you would not be. I
meant no disrespect;  was just vocally stating my opinion on why I
consider your wholesale MS-bashing a waste of time. Note that I did
not say you are *wrong*; I am not defending Microsoft here. But
wanting to be MS-free to me means free of all aspects of MS that make
me unhappy. One of which is people complaining about how evil MS is.

In the abstract, that is--as I noted, you are welcome to complain as
much as you like about *specific* perceived wrong-doings, as
appropriate to the situation.

Blanket statements about how evil Microsoft is just make Linux users
look like self-righteous whiners, rightly or not.

Please, Lyle, take everything I say with the following grain of salt:
I have been known to over-react, and display an alarming lack of tact
in some cases.

As Scott noted, I know you, and think you're a good guy. That does not
mean, however, that I will never complain about some facet of your
behaviour.

Or Steve's. Check the archives, or ask him. We disagree on a lot of
stuff, but respect each other enough to realise that does not mean we
cannot get along.

I typically accept criticism of pretty much anything, as long as it is
well-reasoned. I might not always agree, but that is OK.

-Josh