Re: [tlug] How to Push Linux! .......................

Josh Glover wrote:

>Lyle, Steve was not just saying that other companies are playing
>dirty, he is saying that playing dirty is the Way of the Business
>world. Were you as passionate about computers 15 or 20 years ago?
>Remember a big, nasty, monopolistic company called IBM?

Thanks to IBM allowing any company to produce the PC, we have machines
to install Linux on.  I don't think IBM is a good comparison to
Microsoft....

>I get a little worked up when I see FUD, whether it comes from
>Microsoft's PR department, Richard Stallman's mouth, or well-meaning
>TLUGgers' mail clients.

Hmmm......  Fans of Microsoft must not say anything critical of
Microsoft and enemies of Microsoft also must not say anything critical
about Microsoft.  Sounds like Stalinist Russia....

>Remember what Mark said the other day, "If a common hatred of
>Microsoft is holding us together now, what happens when the status quo
>changes?" (paraphrased--you have the transcription! ;)

Yes, I remember.  But you misquoted him.  What he actually said is this:

"There is a danger in the fact that many of the people who are
passionate about Linux, are really passionate about their opposition to
the status quo... because the question arises - when the status quo
changes, what will bind us together."

My answer to that is this:

No, I'm not against "the status quo".  When the status quo is something
I feel to be a good thing, I'm happy to jump on the bandwagon, but when
the status quo (or fringe element, whatever) is something I feel to be
destructive to the common well-being of us all, then I end up going
against it.

I'm disappointed in you Josh - I thought you had 20/20 vision and good
hearing.....

Lyle