Re: [tlug] Fans: Failure and Resuscitation

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:43:51 -0500, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> Put _half_ a drop of oil (Singer sewing machine oil, or engine oil.
> Avoid penetrants and volatile lubricants like WD-40 and 3-in-1.
> They will evaporate and not last.) on the end of shaft,
> hopefully past the (typically plastic) ring that keeps shaft from
> falling out.  It's hard to put that partial drop of oil into the
> right place without it getting elsewhere, so guide the oil with a
> pin (such as a shirt pin or a straightened paper clip)
> to ensure that the oil goes _only_ into the bearing.

Actually, if the fan stops turning, the chances are that it's not just
poorly lubricated, but completely gunked up.

What I do is to dismantle the fan entirely. I then clean the fan's axle
with alcohol (but not the bronze sleeve - alcohol ruins self-lubricating
bronze - I clean that with WD40) and apply a fine coat of oil as you mention
to it before reassembling. I also wipe the face on which the sticker was
with alcohol before sticking the sticker back on.

With that, the fan is as new again and lasts for much longer than if you
didn't clean anything.

Trying to keep P-III/Slot-1 machines that have 5cm fans on the CPUs alive
when the 5cm fans cannot be found on the market at prices not more
expensive than a new mobo or CPU does tend to make you resourceful :)

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

NOTICE:
  --  THE ELEVATORS WILL BE OUT OF ORDER TODAY  --
  (The nearest working elevators are in the building
   across the street.)