Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... whatdo you think?

> I still think that you'd be better off providing him with what *you* use.

> has some rough edges. Debian is stable to a fault, unless of course
> of date. Ubuntu has a good balance of regular releases and stability.

Points well taken from Godwin and Jake. Thank you. With less than two
weeks left before I leave, I really don't have enough time to do all the
things I would like to.

As for using what I use, that is a problem. I am kind of auditioning
distros at the moment. I just did my first LFS a few weeks ago and loved
the process but not the result. I use rhel at work and FC4 at home, and
incidentally, I don't think either is appropriate for Dad. He is broke,
and RHEL costs money. FC4 is too edgy. I spend way to much time with
freezing apps and quirks. I would switch, but I use RH at work.

Once I get back to Japan, I plan to install Gentoo, Debian, and Ubuntu.
Then I will have more perspective.

My present plan (modified today) is to carry over my old Gateway PIII800
with me... somehow. I plan to pre-install something in it. Just in case
something goes wrong with that, I will also take with me a Damn Small
Linux CD, because Dad has a 9-year-old Pentium machine that someone gave
him way back, and I am thinking that DSL and a webmail account might be
all he needs. If my Gateway does not work.