Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... whatdoyou think?

Based on my experiences trying to set beginners up with Linux, if I
were in this position with my own Dad, I would also feel more
comfortable leaving him with a Stable Debian after it had been all set
up, rather than leaving him with any of the Debian derivatives.

Alain Hoang wrote:

> Since it is a .deb based system you could
> just update the /etc/apt/sources.list or whatever
> it's called in Linspire to point to Debian sources or whatever and avoid
> the subscription.

I've never used Linspire personally, but I have used Knoppix, Mepis,
and Kubuntu, and AFAICT, setting one of these up and then simply
pointing the sources to Debian may well create problems rather
quickly, as these distros usually have a lot of their own little
tweaks built in that tend to break when you try to update with
standard Debian packages and structure. And even with hardware
recognition, the present Sarge stable installer has performed equal
to, or better than the other Debian derivatives I've tried.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities