Re: [tlug] Re: Kubuntu v5.10

On 12/27/05, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>     Lyle>   I logged in, but was still looking at a command line, so I
>     Lyle> tried "startx", but that just produced an error message
>     Lyle> (something about the server - sorry I didn't write it down).
>
> If you log in as root or use sudo, you should be able to get a
> directory listing of /var/log.  Look for something starting with X,
> the tail of that will probably have useful information.  Also try the
> dmesg command.
>
>     Lyle> So... I think I'll wipe the drive and try Ubuntu.
>
> You could do that, but I recommend you look at the logs and see what
> they say first.

Too late - I already installed Ubutu.  Next time I have a similar
problem though, I'll try investigating it more thoroughly before
abandoning the installation.

I have a question about the root password though... I've been able to
set up a root password with no problem (sudo passwd root), but even
after doing that, every time the system calls for a root password, it
refuses the root password and will only accept the initial user
password set up during the installation.  What's the deal here?  I
can't help but think having a user password and a separate root
password is better security - even if the system does call for the
password whenever doing something that requires root priveleges....

Lyle