Re: [tlug] Re: Kubuntu v5.10

On 27.12.2005, at 09:41, Lyle H Saxon wrote:

<snip other stuff>

> I have a question about the root password though... I've been able to
> set up a root password with no problem (sudo passwd root), but even
> after doing that, every time the system calls for a root password, it
> refuses the root password and will only accept the initial user
> password set up during the installation.  What's the deal here?  I
> can't help but think having a user password and a separate root
> password is better security - even if the system does call for the
> password whenever doing something that requires root priveleges....

afaik is it the same as in OS X.
Your user you set up in the first place does stand in the sudoers
list thus you can do everything with him via sudo.
Your root password will be only useful if you log in as root. then
you can do everything w/out typing any password.
usually it isn't necessary to set up root.

if you work as your normal user you can do everything and know each
time they ask for your root password that you could do some damage to
your system, as root you won't be asked.

greetings

niels