[tlug] Re: Kubuntu v5.10

On 12/25/05, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
> Kubuntu went into my 667MHz Fujitsu in about... 90 minutes I think it
> was.  It's working fine, but there are a couple of issues:
>
> In the install, it prompts you for a user name and a password - and
> that's it!  No root!  ................

When I booted my test machine with Kubuntu today, it came up in lower
resolution (800x600 I think) and without the desktop settings I had
previously made.  "What the...?" thought I and I tried rebooting it to
see what would happen.  It came back to command line only.  I logged
in, but was still looking at a command line, so I tried "startx", but
that just produced an error message (something about the server -
sorry I didn't write it down).

So... I think I'll wipe the drive and try Ubuntu.  I don't know what I
did to Kubuntu, but the only thing I can think of is my mucking around
with the passwords.  I don't think there was any problem with setting
a root password, but just before that, when I added another password
(as explained in a previous post), I was surprised that I could use
either the original password I made when setting it up or the new one
(before setting the root password), it didn't seem to matter.
Something weird there and I think maybe that's the cause?  Hopefully
it's not a hard drive glitch (I'm still in my first week with that
hardware), but I don't think so....

Lyle