[tlug] Re: Ubuntu v5.10

I love GMail - but it's refusing to show me any of the messages in
this string right now except my own!  What the he*l?!

I wanted to reply to reply to this bit:

Think you will have the same problem with Ubuntu too. Maybe the
problem is not in your
GUI environment (Gnome, KDE), but on the lower level (the X server
itself) - like graphic card recognition, graphic modes etc. Take a
look on the /tmp directory. The messages that you are getting during
the X starting are logged there too. Use some web paste service (for
example [ http://rafb.net/paste/ ] ) and post the log file there. Then
maybe you can get more specific help for the people in this list.

Thank you!  Not having a handy place to dump text has been a problem
at times.  About the installation - it was working fine under Gnome
(and in fact - except for an error message about a missing file every
time I start FireFox) it's working fine now as well, but I think I'll
redo the installation one more time nevertheless and just forget about
KDE with Ubuntu and use it with Gnome.

I'm glad I bought that test machine - I'd never be doing any of this
otherwise.  It's important to have a test box that there is nothing to
lose on to try out new things....

Lyle