Re: [tlug] IBM R30 Laptop Issues

On 11/26/05, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>>>>> "Lyle" == Lyle Saxon <Lyle> writes:

    Lyle> don't they use gold for parts of IC chips, etc?

For the connections to the package.  That's because of its ductility
(is that the right word?)---it doesn't tend to fatigue and break due
to vibration or shock.  Being an excellent conductor also is good but
IIRC secondary in this application.

The ductility is the ability to draw it into a fine wire; this is malleability, which isn't quite the same thing.  At least, we always used to get told how gold was both malleable and ductile at school.

I'm sure it makes all the difference to you ;-)

Right.  The noble metals, like the noble gases, are called that
because they don't mix with lower elements.  Gold and platinum don't
oxidize easily at all, silver tarnishes but is easily cleaned.  It is
precisely the oxidation of aluminum that makes it a good container for
carbonated soft drinks; aluminum oxide is almost as inert as helium.

It's a bugger to weld, as well, and  I don't think you can solder it either.  (Note that the flux used with solder is acidic and therefore removes the copper oxide from copper when soldering, normally.  I presume there's a good reason that this doesn't work for ally, but I don't know what it is.)

Oh, and you seem to be consistently mis-spelling "aluminium".  HTH ;-)

--
Ian.