Re: [tlug] IBM R30 Laptop Issues

    Lyle> don't they use gold for parts of IC chips, etc?

For the connections to the package.  That's because of its ductility
(is that the right word?)---it doesn't tend to fatigue and break due
to vibration or shock.  Being an excellent conductor also is good but
IIRC secondary in this application.

    Lyle> Anyway - about aluminum.  The thing that occurred to me is
    Lyle> that while I know it's a good conductor, I seem to remember
    Lyle> something about it easily oxidizing and the coating of
    Lyle> oxidation can in fact make it a bad conductor (by surface
    Lyle> contact, not internally), so you may have been on the right
    Lyle> track after all....

Right.  The noble metals, like the noble gases, are called that
because they don't mix with lower elements.  Gold and platinum don't
oxidize easily at all, silver tarnishes but is easily cleaned.  It is
precisely the oxidation of aluminum that makes it a good container for
carbonated soft drinks; aluminum oxide is almost as inert as helium.

So I guess the thing to do is rip the top off the Coke can, and make
contact with the exposed edges!