[tlug] IBM R30 Laptop Issues

Hi All,

I have a IBM R30 that is acting weird. Some people suggest it may be the BIOS chip, but, others are not certain. I've tried a few different forum/lists, to no avail. I'll outline below the issue with it.

1. At the initial boot I get,

BIOS 1.38 (1CETE8WW)

CPU = Intel(R) Mobile Celeron(TM) processor
640kb System RAM Passed
256kb Cache SRAM PAssed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
0122496 kb Extended RAM Passed
Mouse Initialized

0060: CPU BIOS Update Code Mismatch

2. If I don't get 1, I get the following,

ERROR
Warning: IRQ not configured - PCI
Bus : 00 Device : 13 Function : 00
ERROR
Warning: IRQ not configured - PCI
Bus : 00 Device : 0A Function : 00
ERROR
Warning: IRQ not configured - PCI
Bus : 00 Device : 09 Function : 00

Press F1 for IBM BIOS Utility

and upon pressing F1, I find that I'm locked out of some options due to a Supervisor Password being enabled(I'll be honest, I did set it way, way back, god knows why, and the record I have, seems wrong). Anyway, I'm able to change the PCI settings to auto, and I finally can boot the system. Thing is, upon shutting down/restarting, the process happens again. I've even tried a new drive, as some said it may have been that. I haven't looked at this Laptop for almost a year. I'm looking at it again now. I've just been able to restart it twice, successfully. But, upon shutting down, fully, I now get the PCI errors again, the full memory test is enabled again, even though I disabled it, and, I now can't even get into the BIOS menu, at all. I get the following,

BIOS setup is locked. Only the system supervisor can make changes.

> Restart

I've tried removing the CMOS battery, hoping that that would erase the System Supervisor password, but to no avail. Any ideas, anyone.? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.