Re: [tlug] NEC Trouble: Tom's Root Boot

Jim wrote:

Everyone should have a Tom's Root Boot disk in their collection of tools.
[Jim] Also, boot Tom's Root Boot, then see what hard drives it thinks you have. (Explore /proc/ide.)

 http://www.toms.net/rb/

Tom's Root Boot should be a standard tool that you have laying around waiting for a situation like this. Same for Knoppix.
[LHS] I do have Knoppix, and I have tried to use it -

[Jim] I said to boot Tom's Root Boot, not Knoppix.
I know.  I had thought that "Tom's Root Boot" was on a CD- thus I
mentioned that the machine wasn't accessing the CD-ROM drive.

All that I said about Knoppix is that it should be a standard tool that you have laying around waiting for a situation like this.
Okay.

I mention both Tom's Root Boot and Knoppix because each has special capabilities that the other does not. In this case, you need to use Tom's Root Boot, not Knoppix. Both are standard tools that you should have laying around waiting for a situation like this.
Okay.

[LHS] but when the machine locks onto the floppy, it ignores everything else!

[Tim] Indeed. Perhaps you should investigate Tom's Root Boot instead of talking about Knoppix and CD drives.
Okay.  Again, I had though that "Tom's Root Boot" was on CD....

[LHS] It won't look at the CD drive
Good.

No.  Not good.  If it would look at the HDD first, there would be no
problem at all.  If it would look at the CD before the floppy, it would
be less of a problem.....

Boot Tom's Root Boot.
Okay.

Thank you for your help.