Re: [tlug] NEC Trouble: Fixing Causes versus Treating Symptoms

Jim wrote:

[LHS] ... sometimes (nearly all the time now) when I try to power it up, the BIOS insists on booting from the floppy and *only* the floppy. 15-20 attempts finally produce a successful boot. Internet searches have not produced an upgrade BIOS for the bugger,

Consider the possibility that this is a hardware problem, particularly one with the hard drive or floppy drive.

When the laptop is insisting on booting only the floppy, does it acknowledge detection of the hard drive? Booting the floppy could be a fall back action when there is no hard drive (detected).

I don't think it's the hard drive - once it's up and running there is never any problem, and what happens when booting, is that about one second after hitting the power button, the floppy drive starts the "kathunk-kathunk". I suppose that's enough time for it to try the hard drive, give up, and go to the floppy, but I'm skeptical. It seems to be going immediately to the floppy without trying the hard drive or the CD-ROM drive. Also, once it's up and running, there are no problems with the hard drive.

When your computer has floppy-lust, go into your BIOS settings and see what hard drive it detects.

The irritating thing, is that on that d*** NEC, it starts with the message "Press F2 for BIOS" (I think it's F2, I'll check the next time I see it again), but when you press F2, it gives you a BIOS name and some copyright junk or something (I don't remember exactly what it is other than it's just simple useless junk), and there are *no settings*!!!! I suspect the problem is related to the old boot-up order that a lot of computers came with - 1) Floppy; 2) HDD; 3) CD. If I could change it to 1) CD; 2) HDD; & 3) Floppy, that would be nice, but the bloody machine's BIOS has no user settings!!!

Also, boot Tom's Root Boot, then see what hard drives it thinks you have. (Explore /proc/ide.)

  http://www.toms.net/rb/

Tom's Root Boot should be a standard tool that you have laying around waiting for a situation like this. Same for Knoppix.

I do have Knoppix, and I have tried to use it - but when the machine locks onto the floppy, it ignores everything else! It won't look at the CD drive and it won't look at the hard drive.

That your machine's floppy lust can be sated by _any_ floppy (even a non-bootable floppy or even an unformatted floppy?) may indicate that the machine _thinks_ that there is a floppy disk in the drive, even when there is not. It could be that the machine gets stuck trying to read non-existent floppies when the machine thinks there is a floppy in the drive. Hence the machine will not proceed until it is fed with a floppy to read. Actually, I give this higher probability of causing trouble than hard drive detection.

Ah.... now that's an interesting possibility! Thank you for bending my mind in that direction! If only I could set the BIOS to boot the machine first and foremost from the HDD, then it probably wouldn't matter one way or the other though.....

For phantom floppies, I would suspect: 1. Dirty contact somewhere, especially where floppy signals mate into machine. For this, remove and reinstall floppy drive. 2. Dust blocking optical floppy sensor. For this, blast the drive with air. If that doesn't solve it, remove dust with tweezers. 3. Dirty floppy switch contacts. For this, clean the contacts with with contact cleaner like Cramolin. Don't be ham-handed. 4. Mechanically broken little part of floppy switch/sensor. Some of these things involve _careful_ disassembly of the machine and/or floppy drive. Do be careful.

Yes... I'm not afraid of open-machine surgery on desktops, but I had a small fleet of 486 DynaBook laptop computers before that the floppy drives died on one by one - and at one point I came into possession of a 486 DynaBook with a (physically) broken screen but nearly new everything else, so I tried to transplant the good floppy drive from it into one of the other (identical model) DynaBooks. I was dismayed at how difficult it was to get the thing out... I did it, but I ended up physically damaging the parts machine to it. When I got to the install phase in the working DynaBook, I found myself faced with the same barriers and didn't want to break up a still working machine, so I abandoned the attempt. If I were certain about the cause with this NEC laptop, I might attempt it, but - for now - I'm just leaving the machine running 24 hours a day... which brings up a question:

What sort of life expectancy is typical for a laptop hard drive running 24 hours a day? I probably should change the performance settings so that the machine can give the hard drive a rest while the machine is just idling. I tried that once on a desktop, but it dragged the performance of the machine down so badly I gave up and went back to "never-sleep" for the hard drive.

[LHS] Internet searches have not produced an upgrade BIOS for the bugger,

Good. BIOS upgrades are an efficient way to bugger oneself. Investigate the hardware first.

Well... yeah... it's certainly true that flashing the BIOS can ruin a computer, but with some old Dell's I'm using, being able to upgrade the BIOS made it possible to use large hard drives - which was essential to making the machines into something useful. That d*** NEC with no BIOS settings at all and no upgrades from NEC tells me "Never ever-ever-ever-ever-ever buy an NEC computer! (I didn't buy the one I have BTW, it was given to me.

Lyle